How to Install a Tennis Net?
How to Install a Tennis NetInstalling your own tennis net can be done in less than an hour. Proper installation is vital to the life and durability of your tennis net. We have provided these step by step instructions and diagrams to help you through the process.
We also have step-by-step instructions on how to install a tennis post, if you need assistance with that part of the process.
Follow these simple instructions to install your new tennis net.
2. Begin installing your tennis net by connecting the loop end of the net cable to the post cable hook/cleat on the dead end post. If you are installing your net onto an internal wind post, you may have to cut the entire loop and any excess cable from the other end of the net cable depending on which internal wind post you are installing. Do not peel back coating because the end that goes in the winder must have coating still on it. Pull this end of the cable over the top of the winder post, lining up the cable with the winder mechanism. Feed cable into internal wind post mechanism and begin winding until the net is a little over 3' above the court surface at the center.
3. If you are installing your net onto an external wind post, connect one loop end of the net cable to the post cable hook/cleat on the dead end post. Take the other cable loop and hook it onto the pin on the crank assembly and begin winding. Continue to crank the post so that the net is a little over 3' above the surface at the center.
4. Fit dowels/side stakes if available into side pockets.
5. Install lacing cord at each end by making a 2" knotted loop on one end of the lacing cord. Run the other end through both grommets in the headband and around the post, through the 2" loop and back around the post in the opposite direction. (See Net Lacing diagram above) Continue wrapping the cord around the post, through the lacing bars if available, and through the grommets on the side band, applying equal pressure as you wrap. Tie off the cord at the bottom of the post. Repeat for other post. Finally, install the center strap and adjust it to maintain a net height of 36" at center.
6. When you're finished the net should be fully extended so that it completely fills the space between the two net posts. The net height at the center of the net should be 3' and at the post end 3'-6" above ground. If a Doubles net is used for Singles play, the net should be supported to a height of 3' by using Singles Sticks, which are placed 3' on center outside the Singles court on each side.
7. During the off-season or when winterizing, either remove the net or at least loosen the net cable and center strap. It is best to remove net posts, too, and plug the sleeves with sleeve covers to prevent moisture and dirt from falling in.
You will find a large selection of tennis nets and accessory parts in our Tennis Court Equipment category.
If you still have questions about how to install a tennis net, or have any other tennis court maintenance related questions, please don't hesitate to call our court equipment specialist, toll free at (866) 900-3648 or return to our Buyer's Guide page for more information.
Shop Do It Tennis for All Your Pro Performance Tennis Gear
Shop our huge selection of the Best Performance Tennis Racquets on the market featuring all the best-selling frames from all the top brands! Check out the most current technology in Babolat tennis racquets used by Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz, and Leylah Fernandez; Head tennis racquets, used by Novak Djokovis, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev, Coco Guaff, and Bianca Andreescu; Wilson tennis racquets, used by Stefanos Tsitsipas, Grigor Dimitrov, Karen Khachanov, Borna Coric, and Madison Keys; Yonex tennis racquets, used by Stan Wawrinka, Casper Ruud, Nick Kyrgios, and Jessica Pegula; and Tecnifibre Tennis Racquets, used by Daniil Medvedev, Iga Swiatek.
For help discovering which tennis racquet is right for your style of play, check out our tennis racquet F.A.Q. page.
Take the wear and tear off of your knees and hips with a brand-new pair of tennis shoes designed for the high-impact nature of tennis. Don’t take just any pair of tennis shoes out on the court. Treat your feet right with tennis shoes made for your style of play. Get the latest technology for injury prevention with a Michelin outsole found in Babolat tennis shoes, the Ortholite Sock Liner found in K-Swiss tennis shoes, the DynaFit Upper found in Asics tennis shoes, the Adaptive lacing system on Adidas tennis shoes, and the Quicklace system specifically designed for Wilson junior shoes.
Do It Tennis carries the industry's largest selection of tennis, pickleball, and padel court equipment. Keeping your court in good condition, all year long, is easy when everything you need is at your fingertips. We sell tennis and pickleball court equipment packages; har-Tru, Edwards, and Douglas tennis netss and posts; Bakko and Rally Master backboards for individual training be sure to check out our selection of Lobster, Sports Tutor, and Playmate tennis ball machines. The Playmate tennis ball mower makes cleanup time a breeze. If you are a professional or hoping to play professionally, you can keep your racquet performing longer with your very own tennis stringing machine.
Building it yourself? Then see our tennis court installation page for more information.
Keep it all with you whenever and wherever you need it. Order your new pro bag, 6-pack or tournament bag today! Check out all the latest Pure, Team and Club Babolat tennis bags; Radical, Djokovic and Gravity Head tennis bags, the Rackpack and All Vision Tecnifibre tennis bags, Pro and Team Yonex tennis bags; and the Federer and Advantage Wilson tennis bags.
We also have a large selection of cute tennis bags for women who love to arrive at the court in style. Fashion meets function in these designer tennis bags from cinda b, Ame & Lulu, Nice Aces and SportsChic.
A Large Selection of Tennis Apparel
It's not just about tennis racquets...
At Do It Tennis, our focus is to help you get the most out of your purchases so that you look and perform your best on the court. We offer a wide array of performance tennis apparel at great prices. The apparel brands we carry offer cutting edge technologies that are designed to provide a dynamic fit, all around protection and superior ventilation. Our women's tennis apparel collection includes women's tennis skirts, tennis shorts, shorties & tights, polos, dresses, tanks and warm-ups. Our men's tennis apparel collection includes tennis polos, tennis shorts, t-shirts, crew neck's, warm-up's and jackets. If you are looking for team tennis uniforms, we offer discounts up to 20%. You can see our selection and prices in our team section.
For those that are looking for a deals on last season’s tennis apparel, check out our Clearance Sale Section with plenty of discounts on apparel items.
Read our Tennis Blog
Product reviews, tennis how tos, and tournament news
Long gone are the days of walking into your local Pro Shop and discussing each product with the owner. At Do It Tennis our commitment to our customers doesn't stop at checkout. Get the most out of your online shopping experience by visiting our tennis blog for up-to-date information on the latest products written by our team of tennis players who want you to get the right product for you budget, your game and your playing style.
Also found on our blog is a complete list of product videos. Images on the web often lack depth and perception, so our team of professionals endures the lights and camera to explore each product with you, describing the technology, advantages and/or disadvantages as they apply.
We always encourage our customers to participate, leave comments and provide suggestions on our blog, or visit our social media pages to join others in the tennis conversation.
Check Back Often for Promotions
Get great deals and offers on all the best tennis gear
We know that there are many places online to purchase your tennis gear. What makes Do It Tennis stand out from the rest, other than our stellar customer service and our commitment to knowledge is our constantly rotating promotions and offers.
From free shipping to free tennis bags, and 20% off to BOGO, this is your place to see what deals are running right now, what products on sale site-wide and what products have just been released.