How to Install a Tennis Windscreen?
How to Install a Tennis Windscreen?Windscreens are a functional and aesthetic addition to your tennis courts. When installed properly, they can reduce environmental debris from settling on the court, improve gameplay by cutting crosswinds, and provide privacy for courts in public areas. If you have not yet purchased windscreens for your court, check out our helpful guide on what to look for when choosing a tennis windscreen.
Follow these step-by-step instructions on windscreen installation
- Nine foot windscreens are hung from the top of the chain link fence. The usual fence height is 10 feet, which allows for one foot of air space at the bottom. Six-foot windscreens, if used, are placed in the center of the chain link fence or two feet from the top.
- Hang the windscreens so that the seams and hems are toward the fence leaving the smooth side facing the court.
- All grommets must be used to secure the windscreens to the fence.
1. First fasten one vertical edge at the desired height to the fence using regular (50-lb. breaking strength) Ty-raps.
2. Next fasten the top of the windscreen to the fence, keeping the top straight by following the chain link pattern. Use either regular Ty-raps or, if the windscreen will be rolled to the top during high winds, Wilson snap hooks or heavy-duty 120-lb. breaking strength Ty-raps*.
3. Next fasten the remaining sides of windscreen to the fence with regular Ty-raps.
4. Finally, fasten the bottom with regular Ty-raps or, if the windscreen will be rolled to the bottom during high winds, with Wilson snap hooks or heavy-duty 120-lb. breaking strength Ty-raps.
5. In the case of Mastershade, there are no grommets, but Ty-raps should be placed every 12". For best results, we recommend the top and bottom edges be folded over about 1" and Ty-raps put in the middle of this double section. If you don't fold edges, make sure Ty-raps are put in the large vertical area, about 1" in from the edge.
- When anti-billowing center tape is used, fasten it after top and bottom are attached using regular, 50-lb. breaking strength Ty-raps through each grommet.
- When high winds are expected, cut away the regular Ty-raps that you have used for the sides, center tape and either the top or the bottom of the windscreen. Then roll the windscreen up or down to where the Wilson snap hooks or heavy-duty Ty-raps are attached and tie it up using 14" long Ty-raps to help prevent wind damage.
- In climates that get freezing temperatures, high winds and snow, we recommend that windscreens be taken down for the winter months and re-hung in the spring. If windscreens are left on the fences during the winter, in these areas, they must be at least rolled up or down and secured. If windscreens are not rolled or removed, all warrantees are null and void. There is also a strong chance that the winter winds will cause your cyclone fencing to bend. * We recommend using heavy-duty Ty-Raps or snap hooks to secure either the top or the bottom of the windscreen so that it can be rolled up or down towards this secured end during high winds. We also suggest using our 14" long Ty-raps when securing the rolled-up windscreen to the fence.
How to Measure Main Fences
- You should begin taking measurements at a terminal (corner) post and continue to the next terminal post. Do not hold the measuring tape up to the fence. This will create slack which could cause your measurements to be inaccurate.
- Measure the windscreen length from inside tension bar to inside tension bar. You may disregard line posts unless they are on the court side of the fence. For ease of handling, try to keep an individual curtain under 60 feet.
- Measure the height of the windscreen from the bottom of the top rail to the top of the bottom rail. Keep in mind that windscreen is generally installed one or more feet from the top and bottom of the fence.
- Mark each measurement on a diagram of each court. Send a copy of this diagram to us when you place your order so that each windscreen will be properly labeled when it is shipped to you. Also be sure to tag each panel before you remove your windscreen for storage each year.
- Exact measurements are necessary (including feet and inches). Do not guess or round off dimensions. No two fences are identical.
How to Measure Gates and Transoms
- The width of the gate should be measured from inside tension bar to inside tension bar. The height of the gate should be measured from the bottom of the top rail to the top of the bottom rail. Keep in mind that windscreen is generally installed one or more feet from the bottom of the fence.
- The width of the transom should be measured from inside tension bar to inside tension bar. The height should be measured from the bottom of the top rail to the top of the rail that's over the gate opening.
If you still have questions about how to install windscreens on your court, or have any other tennis court maintenance related questions, please don't hesitate to call our court equipment specialist, toll free at (866) 900-3648 or return to our Buyer's Guide page for more information.
Shop Do It Tennis for All Your Pro Performance Tennis Gear
Shop our huge selection of the Best Performance Tennis Racquets on the market featuring all the best-selling frames from all the top brands! Check out the most current technology in Babolat tennis racquets used by Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz, and Leylah Fernandez; Head tennis racquets, used by Novak Djokovis, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev, Coco Guaff, and Bianca Andreescu; Wilson tennis racquets, used by Stefanos Tsitsipas, Grigor Dimitrov, Karen Khachanov, Borna Coric, and Madison Keys; Yonex tennis racquets, used by Stan Wawrinka, Casper Ruud, Nick Kyrgios, and Jessica Pegula; and Tecnifibre Tennis Racquets, used by Daniil Medvedev, Iga Swiatek.
For help discovering which tennis racquet is right for your style of play, check out our tennis racquet F.A.Q. page.
Take the wear and tear off of your knees and hips with a brand-new pair of tennis shoes designed for the high-impact nature of tennis. Don’t take just any pair of tennis shoes out on the court. Treat your feet right with tennis shoes made for your style of play. Get the latest technology for injury prevention with a Michelin outsole found in Babolat tennis shoes, the Ortholite Sock Liner found in K-Swiss tennis shoes, the DynaFit Upper found in Asics tennis shoes, the Adaptive lacing system on Adidas tennis shoes, and the Quicklace system specifically designed for Wilson junior shoes.
Do It Tennis carries the industry's largest selection of tennis, pickleball, and padel court equipment. Keeping your court in good condition, all year long, is easy when everything you need is at your fingertips. We sell tennis and pickleball court equipment packages; har-Tru, Edwards, and Douglas tennis netss and posts; Bakko and Rally Master backboards for individual training be sure to check out our selection of Lobster, Sports Tutor, and Playmate tennis ball machines. The Playmate tennis ball mower makes cleanup time a breeze. If you are a professional or hoping to play professionally, you can keep your racquet performing longer with your very own tennis stringing machine.
Building it yourself? Then see our tennis court installation page for more information.
Keep it all with you whenever and wherever you need it. Order your new pro bag, 6-pack or tournament bag today! Check out all the latest Pure, Team and Club Babolat tennis bags; Radical, Djokovic and Gravity Head tennis bags, the Rackpack and All Vision Tecnifibre tennis bags, Pro and Team Yonex tennis bags; and the Federer and Advantage Wilson tennis bags.
We also have a large selection of cute tennis bags for women who love to arrive at the court in style. Fashion meets function in these designer tennis bags from cinda b, Ame & Lulu, Nice Aces and SportsChic.
A Large Selection of Tennis Apparel
It's not just about tennis racquets...
At Do It Tennis, our focus is to help you get the most out of your purchases so that you look and perform your best on the court. We offer a wide array of performance tennis apparel at great prices. The apparel brands we carry offer cutting edge technologies that are designed to provide a dynamic fit, all around protection and superior ventilation. Our women's tennis apparel collection includes women's tennis skirts, tennis shorts, shorties & tights, polos, dresses, tanks and warm-ups. Our men's tennis apparel collection includes tennis polos, tennis shorts, t-shirts, crew neck's, warm-up's and jackets. If you are looking for team tennis uniforms, we offer discounts up to 20%. You can see our selection and prices in our team section.
For those that are looking for a deals on last season’s tennis apparel, check out our Clearance Sale Section with plenty of discounts on apparel items.
Read our Tennis Blog
Product reviews, tennis how tos, and tournament news
Long gone are the days of walking into your local Pro Shop and discussing each product with the owner. At Do It Tennis our commitment to our customers doesn't stop at checkout. Get the most out of your online shopping experience by visiting our tennis blog for up-to-date information on the latest products written by our team of tennis players who want you to get the right product for you budget, your game and your playing style.
Also found on our blog is a complete list of product videos. Images on the web often lack depth and perception, so our team of professionals endures the lights and camera to explore each product with you, describing the technology, advantages and/or disadvantages as they apply.
We always encourage our customers to participate, leave comments and provide suggestions on our blog, or visit our social media pages to join others in the tennis conversation.
Check Back Often for Promotions
Get great deals and offers on all the best tennis gear
We know that there are many places online to purchase your tennis gear. What makes Do It Tennis stand out from the rest, other than our stellar customer service and our commitment to knowledge is our constantly rotating promotions and offers.
From free shipping to free tennis bags, and 20% off to BOGO, this is your place to see what deals are running right now, what products on sale site-wide and what products have just been released.