How To Measure Indoor Tennis Products?
How To Measure Indoor Tennis Products?
This guide will help you lay out a new indoor tennis facility and specify the dimensions and determine the quantities of backdrops and curtains you need. When you are ready, check out our step-by-step instructions for installing backdrop curtains, or our instructions for installing tennis court divider nets.
Indoor Tennis Court Dimensions - General Guidelines
- Always start with a written layout of the facility.
- All dimensions must be on the layout.
- Take measurements and view every dimension from courtside, looking at the backdrops and walls.
- All walkways behind the curtains must have a specified width.
- Start taking dimensions from one end wall. This is usually the clubhouse end but not always.
- The position of divider nets between courts must be determined and marked on the layout.
- With cable systems, older cable must be tightened before any height measurements are taken.
- Cable height for backdrops and divider nets must be measured. Frequently, these are different because of construction details.
- All measurements of height must take into account the fasteners to be used. Example: Cissel snaps will add 1 ¾” and will affect both backdrops and divider curtains.
- All emergency exit doors must be identified and provision made to allow unfettered access to these doors.
- All divider nets have a natural droop that occurs between fasteners of 1” – 2” as they hang. This is normal and will allow the net to touch the floor and control balls.
- Measuring the required length of divider curtains needs to take into account the following:
- All divider curtains have a natural curving undulation as they hang and will require adding 4 ft. to the typical across-court dimensions of 120 ft.
- All divider curtains should be overlapped by 2 ft. at center court to allow for a convenient passage between courts.
- Divider curtains must be supported by vertical overhead cables at three or four points to keep them from sagging over time.
- Each backdrop should be overlapped along the length by 2 ft., except at the end. The end should be 1 ft. extra wrap-around.
- Each inside court is best fitted with a single curtain that is 60 ft. wide or shorter. Where it is hung depends on the location of the court entrances; it does not necessarily have to start or end at the divider nets.
- If the entrance to the court is through a split wing at the end of the divider net, then one curtain extending from the split wing to the next court’s split wing is the best arrangement. Allow 1 ft. of additional curtain at each wing.
- If a full-height door flap is used and positioned behind the baseline, then curtain sizes will be determined by where the door flap is located. Again, allow 1 ft. overlap at the door flap.
- If the plan calls for court entrances to be through the overlaps in the backdrop curtains, then these need to be situated away from the main frames and again overlapped by 1 ft.
- The point where the divider curtain will meet the backdrop can be designed in a number of ways. It can meet at 90 degrees and have an adjacent flap doorway. It can meet at a so-called California Corner that provides a corner angle in two adjacent courts. Door flaps to allow for passage are easily designed into this configuration. However, it is critical to specify every distance in this section. California Corners are usually set at 45 degrees but exact dimensions are required to insure the proper joining of backdrop and divider curtain.
- There are two basic types, glue-on and lace-on. Glue-on pads are vinyl covered foam with an open back. Lace-On pads are fully vinyl enclosed and secured by grommets on top and sides.
- A pad should protect every hard surface located behind the backdrop curtain that could cause injury by bodily collision. Each pad must be identified on the layout byt the type of pad that is appropriate.
- To design pads for use on poles and posts, the circumference of that pole or post must be measured. On all pads, be sure the style you select can be properly installed.
If you still have questions about how to measure indoor tennis products, or have any other tennis court maintenance related questions, please don't hesitate to call our court equipment specialist, toll free at (866) 900-3648 or return to our Buyer's Guide page for more information.
Shop Do It Tennis for All Your Pro Performance Tennis Gear
Shop our huge selection of the Best Performance Tennis Racquets on the market featuring all the best-selling frames from all the top brands! Check out the most current technology in Babolat tennis racquets used by Rafael Nadal, Carlos Alcaraz, and Leylah Fernandez; Head tennis racquets, used by Novak Djokovis, Jannik Sinner, Alexander Zverev, Coco Guaff, and Bianca Andreescu; Wilson tennis racquets, used by Stefanos Tsitsipas, Grigor Dimitrov, Karen Khachanov, Borna Coric, and Madison Keys; Yonex tennis racquets, used by Stan Wawrinka, Casper Ruud, Nick Kyrgios, and Jessica Pegula; and Tecnifibre Tennis Racquets, used by Daniil Medvedev, Iga Swiatek.
For help discovering which tennis racquet is right for your style of play, check out our tennis racquet F.A.Q. page.
Take the wear and tear off of your knees and hips with a brand-new pair of tennis shoes designed for the high-impact nature of tennis. Don’t take just any pair of tennis shoes out on the court. Treat your feet right with tennis shoes made for your style of play. Get the latest technology for injury prevention with a Michelin outsole found in Babolat tennis shoes, the Ortholite Sock Liner found in K-Swiss tennis shoes, the DynaFit Upper found in Asics tennis shoes, the Adaptive lacing system on Adidas tennis shoes, and the Quicklace system specifically designed for Wilson junior shoes.
Do It Tennis carries the industry's largest selection of tennis, pickleball, and padel court equipment. Keeping your court in good condition, all year long, is easy when everything you need is at your fingertips. We sell tennis and pickleball court equipment packages; har-Tru, Edwards, and Douglas tennis netss and posts; Bakko and Rally Master backboards for individual training be sure to check out our selection of Lobster, Sports Tutor, and Playmate tennis ball machines. The Playmate tennis ball mower makes cleanup time a breeze. If you are a professional or hoping to play professionally, you can keep your racquet performing longer with your very own tennis stringing machine.
Building it yourself? Then see our tennis court installation page for more information.
Keep it all with you whenever and wherever you need it. Order your new pro bag, 6-pack or tournament bag today! Check out all the latest Pure, Team and Club Babolat tennis bags; Radical, Djokovic and Gravity Head tennis bags, the Rackpack and All Vision Tecnifibre tennis bags, Pro and Team Yonex tennis bags; and the Federer and Advantage Wilson tennis bags.
We also have a large selection of cute tennis bags for women who love to arrive at the court in style. Fashion meets function in these designer tennis bags from cinda b, Ame & Lulu, Nice Aces and SportsChic.
A Large Selection of Tennis Apparel
It's not just about tennis racquets...
At Do It Tennis, our focus is to help you get the most out of your purchases so that you look and perform your best on the court. We offer a wide array of performance tennis apparel at great prices. The apparel brands we carry offer cutting edge technologies that are designed to provide a dynamic fit, all around protection and superior ventilation. Our women's tennis apparel collection includes women's tennis skirts, tennis shorts, shorties & tights, polos, dresses, tanks and warm-ups. Our men's tennis apparel collection includes tennis polos, tennis shorts, t-shirts, crew neck's, warm-up's and jackets. If you are looking for team tennis uniforms, we offer discounts up to 20%. You can see our selection and prices in our team section.
For those that are looking for a deals on last season’s tennis apparel, check out our Clearance Sale Section with plenty of discounts on apparel items.
Read our Tennis Blog
Product reviews, tennis how tos, and tournament news
Long gone are the days of walking into your local Pro Shop and discussing each product with the owner. At Do It Tennis our commitment to our customers doesn't stop at checkout. Get the most out of your online shopping experience by visiting our tennis blog for up-to-date information on the latest products written by our team of tennis players who want you to get the right product for you budget, your game and your playing style.
Also found on our blog is a complete list of product videos. Images on the web often lack depth and perception, so our team of professionals endures the lights and camera to explore each product with you, describing the technology, advantages and/or disadvantages as they apply.
We always encourage our customers to participate, leave comments and provide suggestions on our blog, or visit our social media pages to join others in the tennis conversation.
Check Back Often for Promotions
Get great deals and offers on all the best tennis gear
We know that there are many places online to purchase your tennis gear. What makes Do It Tennis stand out from the rest, other than our stellar customer service and our commitment to knowledge is our constantly rotating promotions and offers.
From free shipping to free tennis bags, and 20% off to BOGO, this is your place to see what deals are running right now, what products on sale site-wide and what products have just been released.