San Diego Aviators Ready to Take Flight for 2016 Mylan World Team Tennis Season
July 28th, 2016 by Do It Tennis
Professional team tennis returns to the Southern California area as the San Diego Aviators kick off their Mylan World Team Tennis season at the Omni La Costa Resort & Spa in Carlsbad, California. This year the Aviators (again coached by tennis pro mainstay John Lloyd the former longtime British Davis Cup team coach) are fielding a number of successful returning players and some exciting new tennis pros.
San Diego Aviators Team Lineup
• James Blake is a top tennis pro and will play his 10th season of Mylan WTT in 2016 and first with the San Diego Aviators (he subbed in 2015). Long a top ten player his career-high ATP singles ranking was No. 4 (Nov. 2006). He won 10 singles and seven doubles titles on the ATP World Tour Member of Team USA’s Davis Cup championship team in 2007.
• Raven Klaasen will play his fifth season of Mylan WTT and third successive with San Diego Aviators. This year Klaasen defended the Halle doubles title in June, advanced to doubles final in Miami and defeated the Bryan Brothers to reach the Wimbledon semifinals (w/Ram). Career-high ATP doubles ranking of No. 9 (July 2016). In 2015, won career-best four ATP doubles titles, including first Masters 1000 crown in Shanghai (w/Melo). Reached 2014 Australian Open doubles final (w/Butorac), upsetting world No. 1 doubles pair Bob and Mike Bryan along the way. Also advanced to 2014 US Open quarterfinals. Member of South Africa’s Davis Cup team since 2009.
• Ryan Harrison will play his first season of Mylan WTT in 2016 with the San Diego Aviators. This year, Harrison upset world No. 12 Marin Cilic in Acapulco and successfully qualified at the Australian Open. He won the Savannah Challenger doubles trophy (w/Baker). Career-high ATP singles ranking of No. 43 (July 2012). He has main draw singles wins at every Grand Slam event. Harrison was winner of 2 ATP doubles titles, with a career-best ranking of No. 60 (July 2012). Has also reached two Grand Slam doubles quarterfinals (2012 French Open and US Open). In 2012, represented USA in the London Olympics and made his Davis Cup debut.
• Shelby Rogers will play her first full season of Mylan WTT in 2016 for San Diego Aviators. This year Rogers defeated three Top 30 players en route to the quarterfinals of the French Open. In February, she was a finalist at WTA event in Rio de Janeiro. Last year, advanced to WTA doubles final in Bogota (w/Falconi). In 2014, reached first WTA singles final in Bad Gastein, upsetting Carla Suarez Navarro and Sara Errani. Also appeared in semifinals of Quebec City. Earned first Top 10 win in Montreal, knocking off world No. 8 Eugenie Bouchard (Aug. 2014). Career-high WTA singles ranking of No. 57 (July 2016) and doubles ranking of No. 244 (June 2016).
• Darlji Jurak will play fourth season of Mylan WTT and second straight with the San Diego Aviators in 2016. This year, won her biggest WTA doubles title to date after triumphing in Doha (w/Chuang). In April 2015, advanced to doubles final in Charleston (w/Dellacqua). Career-high WTA doubles ranking of No. 32 (May 2013). Won first career WTA Tour doubles title in Monterrey with Moulton-Levy (April 2014). Reached third round of Wimbledon in 2013 (w/ Tanasugarn), her best finish at a Grand Slam tournament. Has three WTA Tour doubles titles. Winner of 38 ITF doubles titles and eight ITF singles titles.
Mylan World Team Tennis
World Team Tennis was co-founded in 1974 by tennis, sports and groundbreaking legend Billie Jean King. Life Magazine named King one of the “100 Most Important Americans of the 20th Century” in 1990. She won 39 Grand Slam singles, doubles and mixed doubles tennis titles, including a record 20 titles at Wimbledon. Still very active in Mylan WTT King delighted San Diego fans with her presence during the 2015 season.
Want More on the San Diego Aviators?
See the professional tennis player competition and San Diego Aviators match schedule. This year the team is taking on WTT teams from Orange County, CA; New York, NY; Washington, DC; and Springfield, MO.
What’s Your View?
What’s your forecast for the San Diego Aviators tennis team for the 2016 season? Who is your favorite player playing for the 2016 Mylan World Team Tennis series?